Any form of abuse or trauma can affect individuals for weeks, months, even years after the initial impact. This is why it is imperative that you seek professional counselling if you have experienced such instances. There is no such thing as “too long ago”. Identifying, stress management and resolving thoughts and feelings from abuse and trauma is so freeing and liberating. Past pain and depression doesn’t have to burden you any longer.
Past traumatic experiences have a way of sneaking into our current life. If you have a history of abuse or childhood sexual abuse, violence, traumatic accident or other trauma you may find yourself experiencing some of the following:
- panic attacks
- nightmares, possibly even flashbacks
- intense fear and focus on your safety
- or alternately, acting in an unsafe and careless manner
- lots of unwanted nervous feelings or feeling out of control
- low grade, lingering depression sometimes lasting for many years
- difficulty imagining your future, or an inability visualizing good things in your future or using good judgment for your future (see also acting in an unsafe manner)
Working through past trauma is a highly individual and personal experience. You can go as fast or slow as works for you. You can address everything, or just a little bit. You have complete control of the process.